Friday, November 12, 2010

Anarchy in the UK

I read my local paper online each day to keep up with how the Sunshine Coast is doing, and as a student, this story really struck a nerve with me.

For some background on tuition, in the United States, I pay around $8500 for my tuition, per semester, so $18'000 per year. That doesn't include on campus housing, travel money, food money, rent at my off campus apartment, or anything else. It is simply tuition, which is elevated because I am an international student, and a bunch of other little institution fees. I thankfully have a tuition waiver, so I end up paying 3'000 out of pocket.

In Australia, if I didn't take out loans (HECS) each semester, it would amount to close to $AUS14,000 a year. (It would be elevated to $18,000 for anything after a bachelors)

Now, In England, the cost of tuition is around 4000 pounds, which converts to $6000 AUS, which is on par with the US dollar. Just this week, these students' tuition is being threated to increase to 9000 pounds for the academic year, or, $14'000AUS.

Sound about right?

Of course, the anarchist inside of me says "Yeh, let's fight the system for cheaper education," but the common sense that is riddled throughout my body says:
"Obviously these students have A) too much time on their hands, and B) have this whole, "rebel with/without a cause" way of thinking and want to be the next Citizen Smith"

I'm not entirely sure where I stand on this issue, but I do know that the generalization of University students is that they're ungrateful, lazy, slackers who want to get far in life without having to pay for it.
Little to the generalizers know that there are some of us who, when faced with unholy tuition fees to get an education that is needed to build a future for oneself and his/her family, have no other choice by the work especially hard in school to be granted and maintain scholarships, and work a job or 2 just to pay rent and buy food. No one expects college life to be glamorous. Because it's not. There is a lot of hard, grueling work involved, and this is what a lot of people don't see.

Now, I don't condone the violent acts of a riot, even being a frustrated anarchist, though there have been many times where "peaceful" protests have taken place...and always ended in violence. This, to me, says that "yes, these students ARE lazy and what something for free." As a taxpayer, I'd be inclined to protest that my hard earned dollars DON'T go towards these morons. Are these the people we want being educated and then thrust into the world to perhaps one day be running a country?

I digress,

I think tuition fee's are astonishingly ridiculous. Society grooms us from a young age that education is the key to success, or, you can't get anywhere without higher education. So, why is it so darned expensive? And why should I have to pay 'athletic fees' when I was kicked off a team because I had an injury and knew more about the sport than the actual coach? What are these 'institution fees'? $935 for health insurance? When I have 4 different kinds of health insurance? And 'health fees' for the doctor's office that never takes students, as the Doctor is only in from 5-7pm, Monday-Thursday. And why would I use an on campus doctor if I already have insurance?
What about 'transportation fees'? What is that all about?

I am not saying education should be free, because it shouldn't be, but I think there needs to be a modest and reasonable tuition balance. Admittedly, I go to one of the cheaper schools in Georgia, though my out of state tuition is ridiculous - especially after being subjected to the quality of the school. I don't mean to say that the education here is not valid, but I have met and had several instructors who might be better off retired or teaching underwater basket weaving to a class of paper bags. Regardless, THIS degree (Bachelors) will entitled me entry to Graduate school, where I expect to pay a lot of money, especially if I get to attend my school of choice (Columbia, Georgetown, MTSU, or UCLA). Those degrees there after, the Masters and Doctorate, will then almost guarantee me work anywhere in the world.

Is that not such a bad thing?

I don't mind paying for my degree, because I know my hard work will pay off. Yes, I wish I didn't have to face looming student loan debt, living in a cardboard box during grad school, or flunking out of school (which would equal a HUGE waste of money). Sometimes it is tough, studying and working, but in the long run, it will be worth it. I do wish tuition wasn't so high, as it would encourage people who may not come from the best backgrounds to break the cycle.

What happened in the UK is inexcusable, violence never amounts to anything. 9000 pounds, in the long run, doesn't seem so bad. They'll be on par with what the rest of us are paying, conversely, one must take into account the rate of living in each country and how each person is affected.


You also have to take into account the work ethic of each student. Because, there were only a small minority that were violent, which in turn, ruined it for the majority.


What do you think? Should the UK students be upset with their tuition rise?

1 comment:

  1. Students will always say they are badly done by. Why? Because they too carry this instilled belief that society wants them to be educated for the benefit of the world. Society tells us that from the moment we enter school so why are we surprised when student challenge fees?
    Part of the purpose of the education system is to generate debate and new views to give to society and unfortunately one of these is anarchy. Now we should never accept anarchy and the inevitable violence it creates yet we do in the name of compromise and peace. What students forget or choose not to accept is that someone has to pay for their education. Those people are tax payers, something most student are not, so student do not see the cost from the point of view of someone paying but they see it from the person who is receiving.
    I wonder if these same anarchists will be tolerant of the students who wreck their office in 30 years time complaining about the cost of living. Bet you now they will be complaining to the police demanding they be charged and pay for all the damage.
    Rampant damage that was caused by these UK student is nothing to do with student fees, it is to do with the ability to cause damage and rebel with little fear of consequence.

    ReplyDelete